Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The Interviewer and the Pea (Day Seven)

Well folks, a new season is upon us! A new season of adventure and comedy. A season a new faces. And to introduce some of those new faces (as well as say hello to some returning ones) we are once again sitting down with our latest cast for a series of interviews. I took a few moments to sit down and talk with another familiar face to Makeshift Theatre Co, Victoria Townsend.

Hey Victoria, so tell the audience a bit about yourself. This isn't your first show ith Makeshift is it?
I'm from Massachusetts originally, left for a few years to go to school in Vermont (Saint Michael's College) and now live back in Boston. I have been in professional shows throughout New England and beyond since beginning school. This is my second show with Makeshift. Last year, I played a model in The Emperor's New Clothes. I liked both shows but I love playing Kansas because she is a really distinct character and can be really silly. Some of the things she says are really strange so you can have a lot of fun with them.


Tell us a bit about your character in Princess and the Pea.
As I said, I play Kansas City, leader of the band. I love the character because she is really confident and sure of herself. I would love to talk like her all the time. Dig, Jackson!


What was the hardest thing you ever had to do as an actor?
Once, I was in a show where my character had to lay onstage dead at the end. Now, dead people don't move...but, a fly crawled on my face and in my ear! It was so itchy and gross. It was very very hard to keep still. But I did it. Yuck!


Of all the shows you've been in, what was your favorite and why?
It is so hard to pick a favorite show because each new role is a fun and different challenge. But if I had to pick I'd have to say Rosalind in As You Like It because I love doing Shakespeare and she was a very strong, well-spoken character who was fun to play.


What do you do before a performance to prepare to go on stage?
I like to make sure that I have lots of time to stretch and warmup my body and voice. And I like to do something loud and silly to get my energy going. Sometimes, I also really like to have a green apple with the skin still on because it makes my voice feel good and helps me speak more clearly.


What advice would you give to a young person in the audience who might be interested in theatre?
If you are interested in theatre then jump up and start doing it. Start with plays at your school or talk to your parents about going to a camp or after school program. Anyone can be an actor or work behind the scenes but the only way you will learn is by jumping in. Don't wait to start!


What do you think families should take away from Princess and the Pea?
I think a major message of this play is that you should follow your heart and not just do what people expect of you. It is okay to be different even if it is silly or a little improper. And I think it also teaches parents to listen to their children's wishes rather than force their own ideas on them.


The Princess and the Pea is performing throughout October. Visit Makeshifttheatre.com for more information!



The Regent Theatre
781-646-4898
Arlington, MA
Sunday October 17th 1:00pm
Saturday October 23 10:30am

No comments: