Thursday, October 07, 2010

The Interviewer and the Pea (Day Nine)

Well folks, a new season is upon us! A new season of adventure and comedy. A season a new faces. And to introduce some of those new faces (as well as say hello to some returning ones) we are once again sitting down with our latest cast for a series of interviews. Today we conclude our spectacular series of interviews, chatting with Jessica Barstis.

So, Jessica you're a newcomer to the Makeshift Family! Introduce yourself to everyone!
Hi! I'm Jess Barstis. I grew up outside of Boston and have been in love with theatre ever since my mom forced me to be the crocodile in Peter Pan when I was eight. I've been doing shows ever since. I tend to go towards musicals because I like to be a big cheeseball, but I always enjoy being in plays too, of course! =)
It's my first time with Makeshift, but I absolutely love the company! Everyone's amazingly creative and fun to work with, and it was great how the cast just clicked and started to work off of each other like we have in a relatively short amount of time.


Who do you play in Princess and the Pea?
I play "Cincinatti" Sue Morton. I like the entire sassy dynamic of the band, to be honest, because all three characters together are just way too much fun. I try to bring as much of myself as I possibly can to any character, but I already did see some of myself in her just reading the script- she's a fun loving girl who just wants to rock out to some jazz!


What was the hardest thing you ever had to do as an actor?
I had to learn to trust my first instincts, and not end up overthinking every single little thing a character I was playing might do.

Of all the shows you've been in, what was your favorite and why?
It'll sound silly, but whichever show I am performing in at the time. When I devote so much time and energy to something, I have to really, REALLY be in love with it, because otherwise I get bored (I have the attention span of a goldfish). Plus, every show brings something different to my life, whether it be new friends, a personal lesson learned, of just the overall experience itself.


What do you do before a performance to prepare to go on stage?
I make sure that I'm warmed up and ready to go. Also, I try to get into character and drink lots of water to distract myself from the performance butterflies!

What advice would you give to a young person in the audience who might be interested in theatre?
Never allow yourself to get discouraged. Get involved in shows, classes, whatever you can wherever you can to learn as much as you can, and then put it all to use.

What do you think families should take away from Princess and the Pea?
Be who you are, say what you feel, trust in your heart, and someone will love and respect you for it.
 
 
The Princess and the Pea is performing throughout October. Visit Makeshifttheatre.com for more information!



The Regent Theatre
781-646-4898
Arlington, MA
Sunday October 17th 1:00pm
Saturday October 23 10:30am

No comments: