Friday, October 01, 2010

The Interviewer and the Pea (Day Five)

Well folks, a new season is upon us! A new season of adventure and comedy. A season a new faces. And to introduce some of those new faces (as well as say hello to some returning ones) we are once again sitting down with our latest cast for a series of interviews. I took a few moments to sit down and talk with newcomer Meghan Kenny.


Hi Meghan! You're a newcomer to the Makeshift family, why don't you tell us a bit about yourself.

I grew up way down south in Mississippi/New Orleans and recently moved to East Boston. Some of my favorite shows that I've been in are: A Streetcar Named Desire, Medea, and Dracula


This is your first role with Makeshift, what has the experience been like?
Yes, this is my first time working with Makeshift. I have really enjoyed the rehearsal process and am so excited to be performing with this company. I'm so impressed with how quickly the production has come together. I've learned some new warm ups that are a ton of fun and really enjoyed getting to work with such a great cast and production team.



What role can audiences expect to see you in?
I play Princess Rosalind. I enjoy how crazy and silly Rosalind is. Its so fun to play a character that is so different from myself. The princess and I are both very good at stating our opinion and going out into the world to get what we want, but Rosalind's approach is much more whiny and rude at times. She is also obsessed with getting married which is kind of strange to me but I like that in the end she picks true love.



What was the hardest thing you ever had to do as an actor? The hardest thing I ever had to do as an actor was transform from a normal girl to a crazed vampire on stage. It was really difficult to figure out how to get the vampire fangs in and change my costume while still saying my lines and making the switch look believable.

Of all the shows you've been in, what was your favorite and why? My favorite show that I've performed in is A Streetcar Named Desire. I played Blanche Dubois. This is one of my dream roles. So, I felt very lucky and excited to be cast as Blanche. I really enjoy a good challenge and this role was certainly the biggest challenge I've ever faced on stage. I had a ton of lines and lots of movement to remember. This character went from laughing and joking to screaming and fighting in a matter of minutes. This role really taught me a lot about myself and pushed me to want to act professionally.


What do you do before a performance to prepare to go on stage?
Before a performance I like to run all of my lines in my head to make sure I remember all of entrances and exits. It also important that I take time to do a couple of energetic warm ups to really get my mind and muscles ready to work on stage.


What advice would you give to a young person in the audience who might be interested in theatre?
If you are interested in theatre you should go to an audition and give it a try. Don't give up because you're nervous or unsure. It's best to jump in and give it a try!


What do you think families should take away from Princess and the Pea?
Princess and the Pea is about not settling in life and not judging a book by it's cover. It's important to go for your dreams in life and not let anyone convince you to settle for what they think you want. Also, just because a prince is a prince and a princess is princess doesn't mean that they are all the same. You never know what a person is like until you take a minute to get to know them.

 
 
The Princess and the Pea is performing throughout October. Visit Makeshifttheatre.com for more information!


The Regent Theatre
781-646-4898
Arlington, MA
Sunday October 17th 1:00pm
Saturday October 23 10:30am


Riverside Theatre Works
617-361-5269
Hyde Park, MA
Saturday October 2
11:00am & 1:00pm

No comments: