Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Interviewer and the Pea (Day Three)

Well folks, a new season is upon us! A new season of adventure and comedy. A season a new faces. And to introduce some of those new faces (as well as say hello to some returning ones) we are once again sitting down with our latest cast for a series of interviews. I took a few moments to sit down and talk with

a returning face familiar to Makeshift audiences, the lovely and talented Jes Corbo.


So, Jes, tell our readers a bit about yourself.
I'm Jes Corbo, and I am from Boston. A few of the shows I have been in are Midsummer Night's Dream, Cabaret, My Fair Lady, and The Importance of Being Earnest.


This isn't your first show with Makeshift, you've become something of a regular for our audiences, am I right?
This is my fourth show with Makeshift. Did any of you see Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, or The Emperors New Clothes? I love Makeshift and the big fast funny sort of acting we do. Theatre that speaks to children in their language is something I really believe in. I didn't know how much I loved theatre until I was in high school, so I think I missed out a little. If I was bitten by the theatre bug at a younger age, maybe I would have been able to play one of the kids in Mary Poppins, or even Annie! hehe.


So, what role do you play in Princess?
I play Princess Kate. I like her because even though she is a princess she is still very down to earth and she doesn't let her royal position change her personality. I definitely see a bit of myself in Princess Kate. She loves, fights for the truth, and let's her true self show no matter who's watching.


What was the hardest thing you ever had to do as an actor?
Without fail, every part I have ever had, I run into an unexpected obstacle. I am happy I do, because that is how I grow as an actor. I have only had to learn choreography a few times before, so stretching that puny little muscle of mine has been one of my Princess and the Pea challenges.


Of all the shows you've been in, what was your favorite and why?
This is a tough question. I think Midsummer Night's Dream was my favorite show. I love Shakespeare and this play is just so funny and full of fantasy and the relationships between the couples are so rich. There is a lot for an actor to do when working on Shakespeare. I am reminded of Helena and her struggles when I play Princess Kate.

What do you do before a performance to prepare to go on stage?
I try to get as warmed up as possible, my voice and my body need to feel very loose so that when it's time to start, I can use those things as my tools to tell this awesome story. Also, WATER. So important. For two weeks before a show, I drink as much water as I can. That's when it's important, the water I drink back stage isn't going to really help me stay hydrated, it's all that water I drink before hand.

What advice would you give to a young person in the audience who might be interested in theatre?
You got to be strong and remember that it's going to be a lot of work, but if you couldn't see yourself doing anything else and being happy, do it. If you feel that way about it and you don't let anything stop you, you will have a great career in theatre. Remember though, you're gonna need a day job :).


What do you think families should take away from Princess and the Pea?
Follow your heart.
 
 
The Princess and the Pea is performing throughout October. Visit Makeshifttheatre.com for more information!





The Regent Theatre
781-646-4898
Arlington, MA
Sunday October 17th 1:00pm
Saturday October 23 10:30am

Riverside Theatre Works
617-361-5269
Hyde Park, MA
Saturday October 2
11:00am & 1:00pm



No comments: